Fault Features: Rose McGowan for Issue 17


Photograhy
FRANK BATISTA

Interview
CHRIS PURNELL

Style
SEAN KNIGHT

When speaking of her starring roles in the upcoming movies, ‘The Last Duane’ and ‘The Tell Tale Heart,’ Rose McGowan is funny and honest, and when speaking of her directorial debut, she is positively exuberant. But when speaking of things not work related, one can’t help but feel her guard come up.

FAULT: I want to talk about the two movies you have coming out in 2014: The Last Duane and The Tell Tale Heart; with the economy the way it is, let’s say you have only ten bucks, which do you see? 
ROSE: Probably The Last Duane. I like westerns and I liked the people involved. I kinda hope the other stays on the shelf. I felt a little duped by Tell Tale. Blinded by Poe, as it were. Sometimes you think people have a strong vision, and it’s often not the case. Very hard to tell beforehand. Sucks discovering it.

Have you ever done a movie you later didn’t like?
Tell Tale. And there are more where that came from. It’s very hard to make a film that comes together on all levels. It’s like painting with 100 paintbrushes that are held by individual egos. Also, I’ve worked with some not so nice people. Such a drag. If I have a troubling experience, I won’t watch the product.


I really want to see the short film you directed, Dawn. What made you want to direct this story? 
I have my own vision, and it’s a strong one. I want to tell my own stories, not just interpret someone else’s. I feel like I’ve finally found the right job and it’s awesome. Getting into Sundance as a director, (over 8,100 submitted, 12 were chosen for narrative competition) is the high point of my career. By far. To be at Sundance representing myself is huge.

Is directing the future?
That is an unequivocal yes.

Quite a lot is made of your love life. I was wondering how it feels to have your personal life reported on.
Well, I feel it’s lazy when “journalists” dredge up past relationships. I also don’t need to explain myself or my choices to anyone. I can understand interest in current ones, but the past is the past. I think less of the writers who ask, they disappoint me with the banality of their questions. You at least asked it in a more interesting way.

Share this:

, , , , , , , ,

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment